High Temp and High Load on RX 480

Mein Werbebanner3
  • Willkommen bei Hardware-Inside, Gast! In unseren Forenrichtlinien findest du alle Informationen zu unserer Community. Bei Registrierung wird auch kaum noch Werbung angezeigt...

Teleshopping

Neues Mitglied
23. 07. 2019
Hello,

I am having trouble with my RX 480 concerning temperature and load. I bought this rig in 10.2016 and the only changes made until today are two additional HDD's. I have two problems with my graphics card and one of them has been there since I bought it.

1. High temperature. The 480 is always between 70-77 °C hot... - in idle mode. Even when I'm only watching videos or writing stuff on Word, it's that hot. And it has never been any different. I do not understand why. When I'm playing games, it rises to 85ish, sometimes even more.

2. Load. This problem first occurred at the end of last year and I think it's the reason why my games are lagging. When I play CS:GO, I usually have between 150 and 250 fps. I'm using an Acer 144hz Monitor, that's why I was always comfortable with it. Now for some reason, the load rises completely to the top, like really the top. I'm talking about 99-100%. And whenever this happens, and recently it happens very often, my fps drop to a minimum, like 30-80. And when it does, it feels like I'm playing with 5 FPS. When this first happened I turned on the cooling system of my case and everything was fine. Now even turning on the cooling does not help. I am not sure what it is and how I can change it, but I think I need your help.

I had some major issues with the installation of the AMD drivers, so I decided to reinstall Win10 64-Bit, and it helped, but the problem with my graphics card did not change.

I am looking forward to hearing from you

Best,

Teleshopping

8GB PowerColor Radeon RX 480 Red Devil Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDVI / 1xHDMI 2.0 / 3xDisplayPort (Retail)
Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Intel B150 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR mATX Retail
16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Value DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15-15-15-35 Dual Kit
Intel Core i7 6700 4x 3.40GHz So.1151 BOX
250GB Samsung 750 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s TLC Toggle (MZ-750250BW)
1000GB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 7.200U/min 32MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s
EKL Ben Nevis Tower Kühler
Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 gedämmt Midi Tower ohne Netzteil schwarz
2000GB Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM006 7.200U/min 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/450-Watt-Cooler-Master-G450M-Modular_937511.html

new Thermal Paste/Liquid and look for the fan rpm.

Or go to your friend and change the card. Or Buy a cheap one for testpurpose

I think thats an very strange problem.

What is the gpu frequency when you are playing?

The Idle temperature is very high and 10 °C more at load sounds not so logical. So it can be that the GPU frequency drops to a very low MHz.

@Seelenwolf GPU RPM is 455 in idle with Fans on 33%. In CS:GO it's around 2800 with Fans on 76%.

@Saibot I have two entries for GPU Clock: Core and Memory. (I am using Open Handware Monitor) Core is Jumping from 300 to 1200 like crazy in idle, with max being 1330 Mhz. In CS:GO it's Always on 1330.

GPU Memory is constantly on 2000MHZ.

The GPU Clock seems to be normal in CS GO. In Idle can it be that the clock is jumping.

Please install GPU-Z and take there a look on the sensors. Maybe Hardware Monitor has a fail.

@Saibot I do not think it's a sensor error. When I boot up my pc I can see the temp slowly rising with every Minute or so up to 70ish. Open Hardware monitor as well as GPU Z Display the same sensor data. Let's say it is not a sensor error and the temp is that hot. Is it possible that the lag is caused by the high load which is caused by the high temp?

I dont think so. Because when the Idle Temp is realy at 77°C, it would be at Load a lot higher and the GPU frequency would lower.

Check the thermal paste. Its the fastes way to proof. When the paste is ok, then i think its an sensor error.

I ordered thermal paste and alcohol for the clean up. Whether the paste is ok or not I will change it anyway.

I ordered thermal paste and alcohol for the clean up. Whether the paste is ok or not I will change it anyway.
Tell me pls the Fans and the airlow.
You know this case is not fine for Airflow, you have check the temps with full open case?
Better, you show a picture from inside pls.
The CPU is the same percent overtemp then the gpu, this looks like a bigger problem.
Bytheway, why the fans on 77° only 35%?

GPU Clock Low, GPU Load Low, memory GPU low and 77° is not a software problem i think

- Bios for Mainboard update?
- Why your system use 5660 Memory on start?
- you run GPU-Z with another program in background?
- Tell us what software you use
- Full clean install without any driver, you have show with gpu-z?
- Hand on backplate, GPU is very hot?

And we need some Pictures close from GPU CPU Case and cooling

Update, some ppl write, 60-70 Temps is normal, then starts the fans and what is you ambient temp?
the problem is the Card, change it maybe?
Translate this and read: radeon red devil 480 zu heiß, springende taktraten

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
@Seelenwolf

In some places I didnt really know what you wanted, so Im gonna tell you everything I know and ask when I dont.

1. "Tell me pls the Fans and the airlow." The fan is listed in my thread description. I have the EKL Ben Nevis and some stock coolers inside the case. I dont know what you mean with airflow. What do you need?

2. I let the PC cool down and rebooted it after some time with an open case. After 40 mins watching youtube vids and stuff GPU temp was between 65-70 °C and CPU between 35 - 55. So are you telling me that my case is not good? The pictures of the inside are attached to this reply.

3. What do you mean with "this looks like a bigger problem?

4. The GPU-fans regulate themselves. When Im playing games, the fans rotate faster, up to 76%. I think this is fixed in the AMD control center, but I can change it with Open Hardware Monitor.

5. My mainboard bios version is from 2016 but I didnt want to update it due to some warnings. A bios update could destroy your mainboard in the worst case. At least thats what I found on the internet. What should I do?

6. What do you mean with 5660 Memory? Is it the CPU Memory? I dont know what to think of this. What is the Memory telling me and what should it be like?

7. When I used GPU-Z, there wasnt any software in the background worth mentioning, google chrome, discord etc.

8. "tell us what software you use" Which software do you want to know about?

9. I did a new and fresh Win10 64 bit installation 2 weeks ago bec I couldnt install the AMD drivers. I dont think this is necessary. After the new Installation I was finally able to install all AMD drivers successfully. Thats why I dont want to do it again.

10. I touched the GPU after 40-50 mins and it was so hot that I could only touch it for a split second.

I've read in some forums that this problem is very common with the RX 480, maybe they had a lot of defective charges and I got one of them bec as I mentioned earlier, the temp issue has been there right from the very first day. I will buy a new GPU, I thought of the KFA 2070 but time has not come yet. I will buy it next year or at the earlierst just before christmas bec of the discounts. I think I would need a better power supply with more watt, Right?

EDIT: I had a friend who helped me assemble the PC and he did a "great" job with the wiring. But I can't do it better than him, so I left it as it is.

btw thanks for your help =)

I hope you can reply to everything I asked for.
Greetings

Anhänge

• 20190730_184925.jpg
    20190730_184925.jpg
    259,9 KB · Aufrufe: 0
  • 20190730_184941.jpg
    20190730_184941.jpg
    337,3 KB · Aufrufe: 1
  • 20190730_185023.jpg
    20190730_185023.jpg
    336,5 KB · Aufrufe: 2
  • 20190730_185039.jpg